Login | Register

All times are UTC - 8 hours

It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:21 am

Post subject: Getting Started - Important Info to Know
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 pm 

Intro

So, you've stumbled upon the game The Chipped Dagger. You logged in and the first question to cross your mind is, "What do I do?". Or maybe you started moving around, ran into a monster with a red name that proceeded to pound you into the ground. Well, rather than logging off right then and there, here's some information that will get you started to a successful adventuring career.

Game Basics

The Chipped Dagger is an MMORPG in which the world is pretty much run by the players. The economy is completely player driven, to the point that coins are created by the players themselves. Movement is accomplished through the use of the arrow keys, WASD (along with QEZX and C) or by clicking the mouse on an adjacent or diagonal "square" to your character. Stats are determined by both gear and Essences. We will get a bit into both of those later on. You are an adventurer in this world. You have the freedom to go wherever you choose and explore, kill and plunder what you find. You have an inventory window, character stats window, equipment window, event log window and chat window in addition to the main window. These are all pretty self explanatory.

Getting Started

Ok, so you've made your character and are ready to begin. You start in the middle of town. Town is at [X=0, Y=0] and your current coordinates can be found in the top left corner of the main play window. Start out by equipping the dagger and shield you start with and exploring the area immediately around town. You will likely run across some Ents and Copper Golems. Note the color of the monsters name when you scroll your mouse over them. You will probably want to stick to monsters with white names until you have some equipment.

Begin killing Ents and equipping the gear they drop. This will increase your defenses and stats, which will allow you to fight more difficult enemies and explore more distant lands. Ents also drop bark. This is a valuable crafting component used to make healing potions. You can usually sell this on the market for about 2 copper each.

Copper Golems drop copper ore and will drop recipes for copper coins once in a while. Save both of these. Copper Ore can get heavy, so put it in the bank whenever you stop back by town. When you do find a recipe, you can go to the Crafting Building in town and use the recipe to make copper coins. Be sure to put the copper coins back in the bank when you go out to adventure. If you get killed, your corpse will stay where you were killed. You respawn in town, but all of your gear and inventory remain on your corpse. Anyone can come by and loot your corpse, so get back to it as quickly as you can and place anything valuable in the bank (unless you are equipping it). These are the basics to get going, now lets get into some more details of gameplay.

How Do I Advance Myself?

Advancement is made through gear and Essences. Essences are items that permanently increase your stats. You really want Essences, as does everyone else. They are quite valuable, so be SURE that if you trade them away, you are getting a decent deal. Personally, I never trade or sell Essences. There are plenty of other ways to acquire gear and coin.

Now you're probably wondering, "How do I get these Essences?". There are a few ways to obtain Essences. Monsters drop them and you can get them out of magic items (anything item with it's name in any color besides white or grey). Take your unwanted magic items to the Reclamation building in town. Go ahead and stack them in there and hit the reclaim button. Each item has a chance to return an Essence!

I should mention that it does become more difficult to raise your stats over time. The first time you raise at stat, it takes one Essence. When you want to raise that same stat again, it takes two Essences. Three for the third time and so on. Health and Stamina are a little different. They take 1 Essence for the first 10 points you raise them, 2 for 11-20, 3 for 21-30 and I think you get the idea.

Now on to gear. Positive stats on gear are good and negative stats on gear are bad. The gear progression in terms of "power" are blue => green => purple => gold => red. This does not mean that all purple items will be better than all blue and green items or that all gold items will be better than all purple items. Be sure to always look at the stats. A gold item can have more stats on them than a purple item, but that doesn't help you if they are all negative stats. I typically use any items with negative stats (with some exceptions) to try and turn into Essences.

Exploring the World

As you become more powerful, you will probably want to start wandering further away from town. As you do, you will run into more powerful enemies. It is always best to approach new types of enemies cautiously. You can also right click an enemy and click the "Lore" option. This will provide you with some information on the enemy, such as their attacks and defenses. You have also probably noticed that enemies have different colored names. The closer to red that name is, the more powerful the enemy. Enemy names follow this coding. White => light yellow => dark yellow => orange => red orange => red. You may also run across a monster with a unique graphic and a purple name. These monsters are World Event Monsters or WEMs. They can be quite powerful, so you may want to avoid them until you have a bit of experience with the game.

You will likely run across a crevasse at some point in your travels. These are randomly spawning dungeons. When you enter one, a message will come up in the Event Log letting you know if the crevasse is deserted or if there are monsters there to kill. You will often run across many monsters with colored names, including red (or Legendary) monsters, so be careful.

Something else to keep in mind when you travel further from town is your weight. The weight is listed in the Inventory window. The heavier the weight (meaning the more items you carry), the more stamina it will take to move. This can lead to exhaustion (or 0 stamina) fairly quickly when you are traveling distances with heavy bags. You can burn through stamina potions to get back to town with heavy bags or I like to start heading back to town when I hit about 200 of 300 weight. I pick up everything I can on the way back and typically get pretty close to 300 by the time I make it back. Stamina regenerates on it's own when you stand still as well.

Stats, What Do They All Do?

There are lots of stats and there are two columns for each stat. One for your defense and one for your offense. The ones split into the left hand side of the Stats Window are your damage and absorb stats. These are how much of each type of damage you do and how much incoming damage of each type you negate. The ones split into the right hand side of the Stats Window are your special attacks and defense against special attacks. I believe these are a straight percentage of executing the special attack or negating an incoming special attack.

PvP and Karma

At the time of writing this, PvP isn't all that common. The community is small and people tend to work together. However, as the community grows, this will likely not remain the case. You have a Karma stat on the top of you Equipment Window. This stat is beneficial in several ways, so work on increasing it! But how do you increase it? You kill monsters that have "Evil" or "Legendary" in their name. Each one you kill will increase your Karma by one.

Your Karma can also decrease. It decreases when you attack other people in secure areas. The area security is listed on the top of the Main Window. When you double click another player that is adjacent to you, a warning window will come up asking if you really want to attack them. You will lose karma for attacking in a secure area and even more for killing another player. Of course, if you do kill another player, you can take all of the stuff they are carrying on them (including equipped gear). Again, be careful with this. If you attack someone, they can attack you back without losing Karma. If they kill you, they can loot your corpse.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

That should be enough to get you started off in the right direction. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask in chat. There are usually people around that are happy to answer questions or impart their worldly wisdom. So, have fun and as the title of this sections says - good luck and happy hunting!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Getting Started - Important Info to Know
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:20 pm 

Excellent Guide! This should be put in the wiki.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:03 am 
Site Admin

agreed this is good info. :) I wonder what happend to Sebastian since he was going to add all this stuff to the wiki. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:40 am 

don wrote:
agreed this is good info. :) I wonder what happend to Sebastian since he was going to add all this stuff to the wiki. :(

I love you Don, and the Chipped Dagger members, lol. Check my post in the General Discussion. I might be coming back.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:46 pm 

Linkis wrote:
Well thank you for the quick reply.

Now if you could just tell me why I should NEVER DESTROY ESSENCES ? ;)

If you click USE and nothing happens, then what do you do with the essence.
What is it good for ?

HELP !!!! :?

the number of essences need to gain the next level are exponential. i.e. first time you use a slashing essence you will gain +1 to slashing to your raw stats,, then you will need a stack of 2 slashing essences to gain next +1 and then 3 to gain the next +1. etc... so if you double click on an essence and it doesnt do anything.. A. make sure you are not trying to use it while its in a bag (it needs to be in your main inventory to work) and B. you have enough of that essence to gain the next +1, if your not sure look at the even log it will say you need so many of this essence to gain the next level.

Thus, never destroy essences, cause you need as many as you can get.
Hope this clears it up for ya. :D

Offline Profile