Login | Register

All times are UTC - 8 hours

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Post subject: New Player Guide.
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:42 am 

Welcome to TCD

I. Starting: You first start out in town.
There are two important buildings that exist here, the market and the crafting hall.

I. Starting: Marketplace: From here you can buy items that other players sell. You buy something by having the necessary amount of gold in your inventory and then selecting an item and clicking purchase

I. Starting: The Crafter's Hall: From here you can put in recipes you have found on monsters with which you can craft special items. There will always be newer and better recipes so don't fret if yours are not particularly good.

II. Gearing up: What should I wear?: What items you should wear depends on the monsters you are fighting. As you kill more and more monsters you will get better equipment with which you can continue to fight more powerful monsters. Do not forget to stock up on potions!

You can receive this menu by right clicking a monster and choosing the "Lore" option. This may seem hard to decode, but what it simply means is that you should be wearing armor that has stats that defend that stats of the monster's attack skills. You can check the stats of your items by hovering over them in the character sheet, where you have equipped them to your character.

Stats such as health and stamina are determined by your equipment as there are no skill or leveling systems in this game, except for karma, which is different, but does serve a purpose.

III. What is there to do?: This is all up to you!: This depends on your personal preferences. You can start by making money collecting loot from corpses of lower enemies, such as ents which drop bark, a valuable commodity:

Or, you can go and hunt higher level enemies and attempt to find legendaries which are high-level and very powerful enemies. They are usually found inside of crevasses.

IV. Crap, I died: Yes, I know, it sucks.: when this happens you can still go and fetch the items of off your decaying corpse. You'd just better hope you got there before someone else, because they can loot your corpse:

V. Karma:This may seem non-serious, but it affects your ability to receive good drops and your ability to use reflecting ponds which are capable of duplicating any item put into it. You can find this on the character sheet

The higher, the better. Do not attack other players, because it lowers your karma extraordinarily. If the other person attacks you first, you do however have 24 hour kills right to them. You can kill them as many times as you please during these 24 hours. YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR KARMA TO END UP LIKE THIS PERSON:

just kidding, don, we all love you.

VI. Banking all your goodies & loot: you get some bank space at the bank in town, which after your runs of plundering you can store stuff in.

XXVIXIV: Hotkeys!: Hotkeys are your best friend in battle. To apply them you simply right click an empty spot in your inventory and click "add hotkey"

then you get the hotkey menu. Select which key you wish to bind:

after that, drag the item you want hotkeyed onto the spot. Use this for potions:

and voila. Just press F1 and you will use your health potions.

So forth. Reflecting Ponds: Reflecting ponds can be found randomly anywhere. You can use them to duplicate items, however it is a gamble. This is where karma comes in. The higher your karma, the more likely you are to duplicate it, and not have your item taken. To use one simply bring up the menu and place an item into the pond.

From here, you may either duplicate it, or it may sink into the ground. I was lucky enough to have been able to duplicate my dagger.

One last helpful hint!: If you ever get lost, just look at the map window: It will tell you the current tile you are on. Town is at 0,0:

Thank you for reading, and enjoy TCD.

Last edited by John Wilkes Booth on Sat May 15, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: New Player Guide.
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:01 am 

Good job in making the Guide. You shown your dedication to the game and voluntary made a a guide for new players (which is currently not yet available, except for this one).

The screenshots were a good touch, do you mind if you give me your plate armor? Lol, jk.

Anyways, good job on the guide.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:17 am 

John Wilkes Booth wrote:
The higher, the better. Do not attack other players, because it lowers your karma extraordinarily. If the other person kills you first, you do however have 24 hour kills right to them. You can kill them as many times as you please during these 24 hours.

actually kill rights are granted upon attack, not kill.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:47 am 

Yes.

It would be like this.

Player A attacks Player B.
(Player A gains -20 Karma [negative]) If no Kill rights was granted.
(Player B gains "Kill rights" on Player B [no karma deduction since Player A attacked first]

*Note*
If ever Player A kills Player B, Player A gains an additional -100 karma [negative] totaling up to -120 karma [negative] all in all.

To Simplify:
(With No Kill Rights)
Attack = -20 Karma [negative]
Kill = -100 Karma [negative]

(With Kill Rights)
No Deduction on Both Attack and Kill.
*Note* that "Kill Rights" only last for 24 hours (as far as I know)

Don't worry you can raise your Karma by Killing mobs with the prefix "Evil" on it.
Examples: Evil Corrosive Wolfman
Evil Burning Ent
etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Information on Karma:
Karma affects the rarity of "magic" drop recipes or whatever :)

Additional Information on Item *NAME* Colors:
Grey <-- White <-- Blue <-- Green <-- Purple (I think it's right)
But note that Purple colored item names can still be the worst and vice versa.

Additional Information on Mob *NAME* Colors:
White <-- Pale Yellow <-- Yellow <-- Pale Red? (x_x) <-- Red (Legendaries)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:38 pm 

nice guide!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:33 pm 

Yes thank you for the effort you put into making this guide. It is good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:59 pm 

Thanks very much for posting the guide. How many of you guys are still playing?

Offline Profile